We Will Take Care of Your Pipes All Winter Long
Indiana winters are known to bring low to freezing temperatures. They are also known for causing frozen pipes or burst pipe to several homes and businesses. When this happens, make sure to contact Young Plumbing immediately. Our friendly staff can dispatch a plumber your way swiftly and can even guide you over the phone on how to turn the water off at the main shut-off valve in the event of a pipe burst to minimize wasting water until we arrive and repair the pipe.
How Long Does It Take Pipes to Unfreeze?
If left alone, it can take days to unfreeze depending on the weather and potentially cause serious damage to your plumbing. However, with the right methods, you can unfreeze your pipes in about 30-40 minutes. In most cases, pipes will start to freeze at about 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Ice buildup can exert pressure reaching 40,000 PSI on the pipes surrounding it.
How Can I Unfreeze My Pipes?
The first thing you want to do is shut off the water supply to the section of pipes you're hoping to unfreeze.
If you're working to thaw a drain pipe, the most effective techniques are:
- Use a space heater or heat lamp, and make sure there's no flammable material within at least a three feet
- Use a hair dryer and slowly run it up and down the section of pipe you're targeting
- Wrap the frozen section of pipe in an electric heat cable
“Every time they left they cleaned up their mess and made sure our house looked like it did before they arrived. John (the boss) and the other gentleman that did our sewer line in the yard were also awesome.”- Amanda
“Very professional and quick to get the job done. The only company I will call for any problems when they arise. Can't compliment them enough.”- Mary B.
“I have used Young plumbing for years and they have done a very good job.I like that they are very good at what they do.”- Paul Hagan
“Shane was great as well! I am usually doubtful about reviews but I highly recommend Young Plumbing. Give them a call and request Tom and Shane. You won't regret it!”- Julian
“Eric and Shane were professional, helpful, insightful, and fast! I would recommend the company based off of their great friendly customer service. Thank you both!”- Wards
If the frozen pipe is inside the wall, your options are more limited by your lack of access, but some techniques you can try include:
- Open nearby cabinets and closets and turn your home's heat up high
- Use a fan heater to blow warm air into the vents near the frozen pipe
- As a last resort, you can cut a hole in the wall around the pipe and use the techniques listed above
If you have a frozen pipe, call the professionals at Young Plumbing! Our plumbers in Valparaiso, IN know how to properly treat it. While it's possible to thaw your frozen pipes by yourself, there may be a wrinkle you didn't anticipate that could lead to serious problems. If you don’t have the proper knowledge on how to deal with a frozen pipe, it's best to just let a professional Valparaiso plumber from our team apply their expertise!
Dealing with a Frozen Pipe? Contact Us As Soon As You Can!
Frozen pipes and pipe bursts are two plumbing services that we treat with utmost urgency. We understand how a pipe burst can lead to severe water damage to your home and belongings, and we want to minimize that risk as much as we can. Our Valparaiso plumbers are ready to serve 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- We Have a Fully Stocked Fleet to Service You Faster
- 30 Years of Experience We Put Into Use Every Day
- We Have a 2-Year Guarantee on Parts and Labor
- We Always Do the Job Right for a Fair Price
- We Are Bonded and Insured for Your Protection
- Plumbing Emergencies Are Unexpected. Contact us 24/7